Insurance: Guidewire’s first London Market implementation
As a specialist insurer and reinsurer that operates through specific Lloyds syndicates, Beazley specialises in a wide range of insurance lines, including Professional Indemnity, Property, Marine, Reinsurance, Life, Accident & Health and Political Risks & contingency business
Business Agility implements the first ever London Market ClaimCenter solution for specialty insurer, Beazley
Business and system architecture
Like most insurers, over the years Beazley had invested considerably in various IT systems which, at the time, were appropriate for its infrastructure. However, as new systems, regulations and processes were introduced, these legacy platforms were in danger of compromising Beazley’s efficiency.
The volume of claims data that needed to be captured and, crucially processed in the right way was immense. As part of its on-going commitment to excellence, Beazley’s review of its claims infrastructure concluded that a replacement of its existing in-house claims system would be necessary.
Beazley selected Guidewire ClaimCenter, the leading end-to-end claims system, as the technology platform that could confidently replace and enhance its existing systems and processes. Its choice would ensure a solid infrastructure was in place for continuing and planned growth.
Selecting Business Agility
Business Agility was selected as the technical integration partner because of its;
- expertise in Guidewire technology and Agile working practices
- reputation and ability to deliver a fully functional solution balanced for Beazley’s needs
- ability to effect Knowledge Transfer and mentor Beazley’s staff to facilitate the support and extension of the ClaimCenter solution in the future by the in-house team
Delivery of Guidewire ClaimCenter
This was a landmark implementation as it was the first ClaimCenter ever delivered to a London Market insurer. The project migrated all existing claims to the new system and integration was required for a wide range of functions, including; London Market Messages, Policy reporting, financials, Management Information. The project was delivered at Beazley’s London offices and took just under 12 months from Inception to Go-Live.
Business Agility’s Guidewire team consisted of;
- Guidewire Project Managers responsible for all resourcing, high level estimation, cost calculation and dealing with project stakeholders
- SCRUM Master responsible for facilitating effective scrum processes
- Technical Consultants responsible for designing, validating and delivering a feasible solution. This involved leading complex design sessions, providing detailed estimation and managing conflict resolution, as well as developing quality deliverables and mentoring the Beazley team. The Technical Consultant’s main involvement was with the SCM integration, authentication and single sign on, distributed DMS for US and UK, data migration from legacy claim systems into ClaimCenter, ClaimCenter-BizTalk integration
- Functional Consultant responsible for defining and delivering appropriate UI and workflow for existing/future business process. Configuration work covered all lines of business: First Notification Of Loss, claims data validation, document production, financials processes, validation and reporting
The Beazley team was comprised of:
- A dedicated Product Owner
- Business Analyst
- Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
- Test Manager and Test Team
- Project Management Office
- Project Sponsors
With a wealth of experience in applying its Agile, collaborative and pragmatic methodology to achieve the most cost effective and value driven results, Business Agility worked with Beazley to deliver a robust claims system on time and on budget. The project, implemented for 500 users over 8 Beazley sites, has hugely improved the entire claims life-cycle.
Beazley had the challenge of five separate lines of business, each potentially needing their own method of capturing claims data; agreeing on a common way of capturing and using the system was critical. This is an element where there was great success as Beazley has a culture of sharing best practices and cross-business working groups. Users from its marine, speciality lines, property departments all worked together in an agile engagement with Business Agility and the Beazley IT team to achieve this.
The advantage in selecting this technology was in ClaimCenter’s flexible business rules which enabled Beazley to optimise and monitor its claims processes more effectively. This would allow Beazley’s claims executives to define, enforce and continually refine their preferred claim handling practices.
In addition to ClaimCenter’s successful implementation, Beazley also wanted various reporting solutions and a document management system built. Business Agility is also a Microsoft Gold Partner with gold level competencies that include Business Intelligence; it’s expert in the design and delivery of Microsoft-based solutions and it used Microsoft SharePoint to meet Beazley’s requirements.