SharePoint’s Document Transmittal capability is Nuclear strength
The business wanted to improve its current document transmittal process and implement a more efficient way to control the management and transmittal of its documents. The company decided to implement a robust, scalable and futureproof system that could handle its volume of docs. SharePoint was recommended as the ideal platform upon which to configure a solution.
The Company in this case study provides enrichment-plant design services to the nuclear industry. This large producer of gas centrifuges for uranium enrichment wanted to improve their current document transmittal process. The core activities of this company include:
- developing, manufacturing, suppling and installing gas centrifuges for the enrichment of uranium to fuel nuclear power plants
- designing uranium enrichment plants using centrifuge technology
- providing project management services for the construction of enrichment plants
During large projects, the company can send and receive hundreds of transmittals daily, such as:
- Design specifications
- Engineering specs
- Approval certification
- Reporting processes
- CAD docs/files
- And many, many more
The sheer volume of documentation that needs to be circulated raises a number of issues, such as:
- The manual process involved in create each single document
- Storage, access and security
- Tracking and auditing
- Compliance and regulatory challenges
- Accessing different, disparate legacy systems (e.g. file shares, ftp sites, dbs)
The Business wanted to improve its current document transmittal process and implement a more efficient way to control the management and transmittal of its documents.
The Company decided to implement a robust, scalable and future-proof system that could handle its volume of docs. SharePoint was recommended as the ideal platform upon which to configure a solution. This particular Company employs almost 2,000 employees.
Business Agility and the Document Transmittal solution
Business Agility, the SharePoint experts, were recommended to this organisation as the best company to approach as it was capable of delivering a robust document solution swiftly with highly technically people. It also has a great deal of experience within the nuclear industry.
Creating project sites for improved content management
Business Agility set about creating project sites to help manage document content.
- This ensured documents for transmittal were all kept all in one area
- It empowered engineers to create documents freely, but with all the benefits of SharePoint libraries to provide security, permission-control, versioning and easy recovery
- The project sites introduced highly configurable permissions which were easy to establish and maintain for each project manager/Document Controller
- A rich search function was established so Document Controllers didn’t need to hunt down records
- It created automated workflows to be used in the document approval processes
Information capture for Transmittal Documents
- This captured relevant, trackable and searchable information such as, project name, client information, and even the attached document information
- This information was generated to help automate the process and coordinate the transmittal of documents
- Project-specific document templates were held and managed locally
Results and future plans
In addition to the SharePoint-based system improving, automating and accelerating the former process, the company also benefited from the following:
- reduced investment needed for development
- lower support costs
- access to a pool of SharePoint expertise