Global Manufacturer leverages SharePoint Online as its modern workspace and CRM
Futamura had enormous amounts of data residing on premises and needed this to be migrated to SharePoint Online. Additionally, Futamura wanted to utilise SharePoint’s document management capability to its full potential and create a CRM system using the platform.
Futamura, headquartered in Nagoya Japan, is a global leader in manufacturing. Futamura has production sites in Japan, UK and USA, employing some 1800 people across six divisions. Futamura has grown its global footprint to include manufacturing facilities in both Asia, Europe and the Americas and is the global leader of sustainable cellulose films for the packaging market.
As the global leader for renewable and compostable packaging films and cellulose casings, Futamura is dedicated to providing high quality speciality products that enhance the lives of the people who use them.
Futamura’s large-scale projects involve the manufacturer of renewable and compostable packaging films for both global and SME brand owners and retailers
With SharePoint users based across the globe, Futamura used SharePoint 2007 and 2010 (on premises) for a document management system.
Situation and challenges
Primarily focused on safety, high quality speciality products, R&D, customer service and ethical, sustainable partnerships, Futamura required a stable internal system capable of efficiently processing their internal information.
Futamura had enormous amounts of data residing on premises and needed this to be migrated to SharePoint Online.
Additionally, Futamura wanted to utilise SharePoint’s document management capability to its full potential and create a CRM system using the platform.
A previous CRM system was deemed slow and overly complex for the needs and size of Futamura. That CRM did not have the full functionality required to support the businesses’ vigorous processes and workloads. Futamura needed to provide a way of managing its customer information, contacts and sales pipeline without using Microsoft Dynamics CRM.
- a company with expertise in extensive document management, data migration and best practices for online processes and CRM systems.
- a system that would manage the interaction between Futamura and current and potential customers
- the ability to analyse data to allow Futamura to improve sales growth
- the ability to retain some of the functionality of the incumbent system i.e. trial approval processes, customer master data request flows, business development lists
- a system that would be convenient and easy to use / access for sales teams whilst travelling
As Futamura were already working with Business Agility to create its SharePoint environment, it was identified early on that SharePoint could offer all the functionality needed for the CRM to work effectively. After producing a specification of requirements, Business Agility quickly got to work in building the CRM site and continued to support Futamura in any system adjustments it needed.
Futamura had SharePoint 2010, and with the advancements Microsoft have made to the platform since then, it was apparent that Futamura had more technology to take advantage of. For example, it was able to innovate a new method of processing its incident reports.
Through the implementation of SharePoint Online, Futamura’s business processes quickly became more streamlined.
Part of Business Agility’s solution for Futamura’s workforce was extensively training users on the new SharePoint system. This training aimed to further embed the adoption of SharePoint across the organisation and promote best practice on a consistent level.
- Incident reports: A smoother, less complex process was introduced
- Futamura obtained a brand-new, modern intranet which powers many of its business processes
- More secure systems with the benefit of permissions and access rules within SharePoint
- Fast access to thousands of documents that are easily searchable
- A well-trained workforce showcasing best practices with knowledge in metadata and tagging for better document management
“We were really pleased with Richard Sunderland’s support. He delivered the requirements in a timely and efficient manner and has been excellent in translating the requirements of our users!” – Rebecca Farrimond, Futamura